Antler Dog Chews

Antler Dog Chews
Find great antler dog chews at our Etsy shop!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Apple Fritters


Yum!! Apple fritters are one of my all time favorite donuts to get at bakeries. Who knew that I could make them at home, so easily!! I got this recipe from an Amish cookbook that I have, added the cinnamon and the glaze and had an awesome end result! With is being Fall right now, apples are cheap (or free if you can find them) so it's a great time to make these babies! Have fun!

Apple Fritters

1 cup flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ to 1 teaspoon cinnamon (depending on how much you want)
1 egg, beaten
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
1 ½ cups (about 3) apples, peeled and diced
oil for frying

Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl with a wire whisk. Add egg and milk to the dry ingredients and mix well. Add apples to the batter and blend well. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until dark golden brown, about two minutes per side. Once done frying, let cool on paper towels. Dunk in glaze (recipe follows), covering fritters liberally. Place fritters on a wire wrack with parchment paper underneath it, for easy cleanup. Let glaze harden and enjoy! Makes 12 small fritters.

Fritter Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk (or more to desired consistency)

Mix all ingredients together until desired consistency is acquired, adding more powdered sugar or milk if need be.

After they were all made we were looking at them and saw some animal shapes!! My kids loved trying to find animals in the apple fritters.

9 comments:

Sonya said...

Oooh I LOVE apple fritters! I cant get them over here in the netherlands and have searched high and low for a homemade version. Bookmarking this to make as soon as I buy some apples!! Thank you:)

Karine said...

Your fritters sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

balujan26 said...

Wow! really good recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Isil said...

Just found your blog, great stuff!

You sure do love your family.

Jessica Warrick said...

Yummy those look so good. just wanted to say hey and that im your newest follower form Mommy Blogger Directory. You can check my blog out at http://jessicawarrick.blogspot.com

WendyLynders said...

Oh my! I feel my waist growing. I am not kidding either. Ha. These just got put on my site as a must try.

Lori Gilson said...

Looks really good! Thanks for the idea. As a mom who loves to cook, I think I will try making these.

Cedarglen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I just finished making these apple fritters and they turned out delicious and oh so easy to make! This recipe is definitely a keeper!