Antler Dog Chews

Antler Dog Chews
Find great antler dog chews at our Etsy shop!

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sourdough Bread



A couple of months ago I was reading up on how to make sourdough bread, I was intrigued by the fact that sourdough bread uses absolutely no yeast!! So, I thought that sourdough would be the perfect option for having bread during a situation that you might be living off of food storage and might have run out of yeast. So, I made a starter and let it grow and ferment and sour and now, I have some awesome bread!! All from water and flour. Granted, when I actually make the bread I do add a little oil, sugar and salt, but no yeast at all. And it's so yummy! I encourage all of you to start a sourdough starter, this way you can always make bread, with or without yeast!

Now, I'm not an expert about sourdough, so I'm going to lead you to a website by S. John Ross, who is an expert. You will learn everything you need to know about sourdough, from the feeding and care of your "pet" to the hooch that forms on the top. You can check out his website here. This is the recipe that I used to start my starter and to ultimately make my bread. I have two starters, this way I can have an extra in case one dies, which is pretty unlikely. Plus, we've been enjoying bread weekly and even pizza from the dough!! As you can see from my pictures I shape my dough into baguettes, we like it this way the best, but you can shape it in a regular loaf pan or as a round, it's up to you. It does take a lot of time, but not a lot of hands on time. And when I want to make bread I have to think about it about a day in advance, but that's not that big of a deal. Just read up on how to make the sourdough here and mostly, have fun!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! Thanks for posting this...I've been dying to try to make my own sourdough. Now, I have a question...when you first make your starter (even before it goes in the refrigerator), do you put the lid back on the jar? or do you leave it completely open?

Country Cookin' Mama said...

Hi Erin,
I actually don't put the lid on the jar at all. When it's first starting I put plastic wrap over the top of the jar and then poke some tiny holes in it so that it can breathe. Then when I put it in the fridge I just put plastic wrap over the top without the holes. Good luck!