Antler Dog Chews

Antler Dog Chews
Find great antler dog chews at our Etsy shop!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hillbilly Donuts

Looks good, doesn't it? I bet you can't figure out what they are made out of. Go ahead, take a guess, I'll wait... Nope, you're wrong. Okay okay, I'll tell you. You're gonna laugh. Biscuit dough, you know, the kind that you buy at the store in the can? Yeah, I know. Doesn't it look like a real donut that you'd get from a bakery? These are so easy to make. And how fun would it be to surprise your family with donuts on a Saturday morning?! If you're like me and you live out in the country, the chances of you going out to get donuts and bring them home are slim-to-none. But now you can have easy yummy donuts, right at home! Without having to make the dough! Yay!

Hillbilly Donuts

1 can of homestyle biscuits
oil for frying
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make a hole in each biscuit by sticking your finger through the biscuit and stretching it out, until it resembles a donut with a rather large hole. Heat oil in a large skillet until hot. Drop biscuits into hot oil and fry until golden brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Drain and cool slightly on a paper towel lined cookie sheet. In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla with a whisk to form a glaze, making it thicker or thinner by adding more milk or powdered sugar, according to your likings. Dip each donut in the glaze, place on a wire rack to harden slightly and enjoy!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm a very small town girl (under 200 people and no real stores) so if I want donuts I'm not going to the closest town with a store which is 20 minutes away... I'm making them at home. I've been making these same donuts since I was 12 years old. Sometimes I put the hot donuts directly into powdered sugar and that's yummy too! This is about the only way I will eat a canned biscuit.

A + M said...

I was craving donut holes last night so after diner we went and got some...a dozen. I finished them on the way home from the bakery...hahahaha. These look great! Wish YOU were here to make them :)

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Oh! I think I have everything I need for this in my house right now. VERY dangerous. Maybe I'll try to make them for my book club meeting on Friday! Yum!

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Thanks for the recipe, I made these this week w. my daughter (minus the glaze) and posted about them today!

http://goodgirlgoneredneck.blogspot.com/2009/10/simply-made-sunday.html

Thanks again!!!

CityGirl GoneCountry said...

We love making these donuts....i add cake icing on the top and sometimes some sprinkles....they r the best:)
http://joannanherblogs.blogspot.com