Antler Dog Chews

Antler Dog Chews
Find great antler dog chews at our Etsy shop!

Monday, February 9, 2015

$65 A Week Challenge Week #2 Plus Disneyland Prep!

What a week it's been!  My first week of the $65 a week challenge went really well.  I was able to stay within my budget and make lots of homemade foods for my family.  Here's how this week went.


I did a few more grocery store stops for this week's shopping.  I started last Friday, so technically it was still "last week", but, I applied the money towards this week's budget, since the food was all for this week.  

I stopped by a local store to pick up some motion sickness pills for my husband who was going on a 9 hour road trip for work.  He wasn't sure if he'd be having to sit in the back seat, so I planned ahead and got him the motion sickness pills.  It's never fun to be car sick for 9 hours... 

While I was there, I noticed that they had a produce bag special going on.  I looked at what was offered and decided that it was well worth the $15 price.  So, I picked one up.  You can see all I got for $15 in the photo above.  

Here's a breakdown of what was in the bag:
1 lb carrots, 1 bag salad mix, 1 guacamole mix, 1 pineapple, 3 grapefruits, 4 oranges, 5 HUGE gala apples, 4 roma tomatoes, 2 mangoes, 2 bell peppers, 4 green apples and 2 avocados.  


I also shopped at the dollar store twice and Walmart once for this week's groceries.  I still have things leftover from last week's shopping trip, so I didn't need to get as much stuff.  Plus, like I mentioned before, my husband is out of town most of this week, which means I don't need as much food in the house.  

Here's what I got:
Walmart: 2 gallons of milk, 18 count package eggs, 16 count flour tortillas, 2 liter diet twist, 12 pack diet mt. dew (not pictured), chocolate syrup (for my 4 year old who is obsessed with chocolate milk), 8 oz package cheese, 4 lbs butter (I had 1 lb on my list, but as I was looking at butter I saw an older gentleman with 16 lbs of it in his cart, I asked him if it was on sale somewhere else to price match and he said it was!  Fred Meyer has them on sale this week for 2 for $4, so only $2 a pound.  The normal price is over $4.50 each!) and 9 oz package of lunch meat.  

Dollar store: Chips, cinnamon toasters and a can of sardines (not pictured, for my son who is weird.)

Total for this food: $30.45


I came up with this crazy idea to go to DISNEYLAND this Spring and my husband agreed!  We're going to do it very frugally, eating breakfast and most of our dinners in our room and bringing pre-made lunch and snacks with us into the park, so I decided that since my total spent so far for this week's food was only $45.45 I would use the remainder of my budget on getting ready for Disneyland.  

Here is what I got at my first trip to the dollar store:
2 quarts shelf stable milk, 1 drink mix, 1 Jif to go, 1 package gnocchi



Here is what I got in my second trip to the dollar store and at Walmart for our 
Disneyland trip.

Dollar Store: Fiddle Faddle, Whales crackers, peanut butter crackers and sour cream and chive crackers.
Walmart: Crunchy granola bars, Breakfast on the go packs, raisins, capri suns, fruit crisps and drink mix.

Total spent at both dollar store trips and Walmart for Disneyland:
$22.59

Total spent this week, all together: $68.04

So, I was over budget by $3.04, which means that next week I'll only have $61.96, which I'll round up to $62. 

I guess I went a little overboard with the Disneyland Prep, I could have left off a thing or two and been on budget, but it will all even itself out at the end of the month.

How was your budget for this week? 


No comments: