Antler Dog Chews

Antler Dog Chews
Find great antler dog chews at our Etsy shop!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Awesome Whole Wheat Bread


I'm pretty into food storage, partly because I'm LDS and partly because I just want to be prepared and have food in my house in case something happens. You never know when you might not be able to buy food! What if your husband lost his job or there was a big snow storm and you were stuck in your house for days? So, I store food in my house. Not a whole ton, but I do have some just in case. And what's food storage if you don't know how to use it? So, I'll be featuring some of my food storage recipes along with my regular recipes. This recipe however is so good, you'll want to eat this bread every day! Who knew food storage could be so tasty?! When I make this recipe at home I grind my wheat kernels in my wheat grinder to make the flour for this bread. This way I have the freshest flour I could possibly have! If you don't have fresh flour, store bought whole wheat flour will work perfectly fine! But, if you are going to become a serious bread baker and bake all of the bread that your family eats, as I do, you might want to consider getting yourself a wheat grinder! I highly recommend the one that I have, which is the Nutrimill! Check it out!

There are a couple of ingredients in this recipe, namely dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten that you may not have heard of before, that is unless you live in Utah or Idaho. So, I'm going to introduce them to you! Dough enhancer is a product that helps to rise your breads higher and better than if you didn't have it in your dough, it also helps to prolong the life of your bread. Vital wheat gluten adds more gluten to your dough to make it softer and more delicious! You can buy both products here or you can try looking for them in your local grocery store in the baking section. You won't regret buying them at all, you'll use them in all of your bread doughs once you try them once. Trust me!

Awesome Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon yeast
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoons dough enhancer
5 to 7 cups whole wheat flour

In a large mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch type) combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for a few minutes to give the yeast a chance to start working. Add the salt, oil, vital wheat gluten, dough enhancer and 3 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Continue to add more flour until the dough does not stick to the side of the bowl and does not feel sticky to the touch. Knead for 10 minutes in mixer. When dough has finished kneading let it rise once until doubled in bulk. Punch down dough and divide it into 2 pieces and form into loaves and set in greased bread pans. Let dough rise in warm, but not on oven until it is about an inch over the pan. Turn oven on to 350° F and set timer for 30 minutes, do not preheat the oven. When done baking remove from pans immediately and let cool on a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves.

Have you tried this recipe? Come and rate and review it over at Tasty Kitchen!

No comments: